England’s history, architecture and culture is celebrated when buildings of every age, style and function open their doors for free for the annual Heritage Open Days. This year’s event runs from Friday 10 September to Sunday 19 September 2021.
Discover hidden architectural treasures and enjoy a wide range of tours, events and activities which bring to life local history and culture:
- Free entry to venues that usually charge
- Tours that give glimpses into hidden places- many of which are virtual this year
- Walks through our historic landscape – with evidence of settlement from pre-history to the modern day
- Churches – from Saxon to Medieval to Victorian in County Durham
- Talk to knowledgeable and enthusiastic volunteers who guide you round the venue